
It’s been a long while. Shits happens yea.
Ok, so there is something I need to come out of the closet. I am now a fan of the German Football Team.
Yes, I have left England for Germany. It was a secret romance that begin since World Cup 2002. For many years I have been a fervent supporter of England. This was because of the following reasons:
1) England is our former motherland (Singapore is a former colony of England);
2) EPL is huge in Asia, hence we naturally tend to support England; and
3) Because I grew up with people supporting England.
But after watching football for years, I began to form my own opinions. And in that process, I was seduced by the German football team. I use the word “seduced” because I actually really enjoy watching them play and the process of conversion happended over time. Throughout World Cup 2006 and Euro 2008, I wore the England jersey, watched all their matches and followed any football news relating to them. But lets just put it out in the open and say it. England had better drama than football. Meanwhile there was just something that really caught my attention to the German football team. I just love their style of play. And soon I caught myself enjoying the guilty pleasure of watching and following the German football team. In doing so, other things happened. I actually began to like hearing the German language spoken. I became curious about German culture too. And next thing you know, I am learning German, watching DW TV and took a whole month out to travel Germany. What started out as a guilty adulterous fling, turned into ….well…love.
I will always love England and follow them because of my history. But since World Cup 2010, I decided to follow my heart and become a Germany football team supporter.
Ok, so there is something I need to come out of the closet. I am now a fan of the German Football Team.
Yes, I have left England for Germany. It was a secret romance that begin since World Cup 2002. For many years I have been a fervent supporter of England. This was because of the following reasons:
1) England is our former motherland (Singapore is a former colony of England);
2) EPL is huge in Asia, hence we naturally tend to support England; and
3) Because I grew up with people supporting England.
But after watching football for years, I began to form my own opinions. And in that process, I was seduced by the German football team. I use the word “seduced” because I actually really enjoy watching them play and the process of conversion happended over time. Throughout World Cup 2006 and Euro 2008, I wore the England jersey, watched all their matches and followed any football news relating to them. But lets just put it out in the open and say it. England had better drama than football. Meanwhile there was just something that really caught my attention to the German football team. I just love their style of play. And soon I caught myself enjoying the guilty pleasure of watching and following the German football team. In doing so, other things happened. I actually began to like hearing the German language spoken. I became curious about German culture too. And next thing you know, I am learning German, watching DW TV and took a whole month out to travel Germany. What started out as a guilty adulterous fling, turned into ….well…love.
I will always love England and follow them because of my history. But since World Cup 2010, I decided to follow my heart and become a Germany football team supporter.
No comments:
Post a Comment