Monday, August 13, 2012

Euro, Olympics and Community Shield

Euro 2012, a lesson illustrating that  history repeats itself. The Spanish won it again, the German gave a really strong performance only to be denied near the end (and by the Italians again) and England loses out on penalties AGAIN.  I am bitter that Spain won it again. I mean, come already! I’m tired of seeing the same colours at the winners’ podium. And am utterly heart-broken Germany failed to progress to the finals after such a strong performance in the early stages of the tournament.  After beating Germany in the semi-final, I wanted Italy to win the cup. But atlas the stars were in favour of the Spanish…AGAIN.  England. What can I say. Ever cursed by penalties. Even younger ones were not spared at the Olympics.

So, what does the end of Euro 2012 means for me? It means I only have 2 more years to make my dream of having my honeymoon during the World Cup in Brazil come true. How are my plans going? Well, my boyfriend is still my dog. L

Olympics 2012 in London. Amazing opening and closing ceremony, showcasing the best of British (including (in my opinion, that is) Beckham, the Spice girls and Mr James Bond). I absolutely love the James Bond-ish cameo by Queen Elizabeth. Rock on Queen! So, as we all know, nobody gives any respect to football in the Olympics. Hence, it’s the best place for non-footballing greats to win stuff here. Since the Olympics was being held in London, the UK thought it would be a great idea to send in a Great Britain team. So after much resistant and discussion, it was formed. BUT THEY LEFT BECKHAM OUT OF THE SQUAD citing reason that he has not been playing top-level football recently!  Kudos to Stuart Pearce (manager for the GB team) for making his own decision and not swaying to popular votes. But then again…. it’s Beckham ppl! My dearest Giggsy made it to the squad as one of the few old-age exceptions allowed. So, how did Team GB do anyways? Well, they crashed out in penalties of course. That damn curse! Congratulations to Mexico who took home Gold for men’s football and USA for women’s football.

On Sunday, while everybody was looking forward to the closing ceremony of the Olympics, something else very important was going on. THE COMMUNITY SHIELD. Yes, I know…. the Community Shield? It may not mean much…. but for me it football over Olympics any day!  It was the battle between Premier League Champions, Man City and FA cup winners, Chelsea. And damn it Man City beat Chelsea 3-2! Signs of thing to come? Man City to keep going strong and Chelsea to up its game? Here’s hoping Manchester United will come strong to kick Man City ass and reclaim the PL title and maybe everything else too!  Man Utd had quite a bit of youngsters last season, so hopefully they will be more seasoned this time. We don’t want to go another season without any trophy ok!

I can’t wait for football season to begin!

Glory Glory Man Utd!

No comments: